1948 Packard Deluxe Super Eight Limousine for Sale
1947/8 Packard Super Eight Limousine
1947 PACKARD LIMOUSINE
1947 – 1948 Packard Deluxe Super Eight Limousine (model running period: 8 September 1947 to 1 May 1949)
Chassis ID: 2222
Vehicle number: 2270-2197
Paint scheme: SNO
Trim code: 871117
Engine number: J9416 (327 cubic inches)
Body number: 2270-2173
Firewall number: 810701
1. 1948 – 1966. The Packard (original colour black) was bought new by Sir Percy Bilton from Porterville. He was an English millionaire who lived the six summer months of the year in South Africa and the other six months in England when it was summer in the Northern hemisphere. His wife was Lady Ella. They lived on the farm De Hoek. Sir Percy had oil interests in the North Sea and property investments in England and Paris, France. He died in 1983 and was buried on a hill overlooking the farm. His grave has a very impressive tombstone and epitaph.
2. 1966 – 1971. The car belonged to a teacher in Petrusville.
3. 1971. A traveller representative from Philippolis bought the car from the teacher. However, his wife was very unhappy about the purchase. PJ (Piet) Venter heard about the car and bought it from the traveller. lt was only three days in the possession of the traveller. The Packard had 46 000 original miles on the tachometer.
4. 1971 – 1991. Piet Venter owned the car for twenty years and had it painted grey. He had a hotel in Witput, a small station town between Kimberley and Hopetown. He later bought a small farm, namely Plot 107 of the Riet River Irrigation Scheme at Jacobsdal. The car was Piet’s wedding car when he married Veronica on 19 November 1988. Piet and Veronica now live in Riversdale
5. 1991 – 1996. Johan Pretorius, a garage owner from Bloemfontein, bought the car. The registration number of the car was changed to OB 189785. He moved to East London, then to Bethuli and later emigrated to America. Johan re-sprayed the car to its original black colour and changed the rear upholstery from grey to red.
6. 13 May 1996 – Present. Charles Louw, Port Elizabeth, bought the car. The registration of the car changed to BGW 149 EC. The car, which is still very original except for the re-spray and rear upholstery, has been on several old car tours and is a popular wedding car because of the huge rear space.